I’ve been a huge fan of yogurt for many years. So much you can do with it. That little parfait is probably my favorite breakfast: plain yogurt w/fresh fruit & granola.
But it took cousin S to remind me that making my own yogurt isn’t really rocket science, especially now that I have a gas range w/a pilot light.
Reasons to make my own:
- It costs about 1/2 as much
- No plastic containers piling up
- It’s kind of fun in a Little House/Waltons kind of way
I googled for instructions, and then kind of went my own way, as per usual.
- I heated a qt of organic milk + 1/3 C dry instant milk to 150 degrees in a very clean saucepan.
- While it was heating, I took out a 1/2 C of good commercial organic yogurt (Stony Field) and put it in a bowl to warm up a little.
- Cooled the saucepan of milk back down to 110 degrees.
- Stirred about 1/2 C of the 110 degree milk into the little bowl of yogurt, to warm it up.
- Stirred the little bowl of yogurt into the saucepan of milk.
- Poured the saucepan into a sterilized canning jar & popped it into the oven overnight.
- That’s it!
So I’m feeling very farmgirl-ish today. The granola was made here, the raspberries are from here, and after breakfast, I pinned a load of clothes out on the line. Surest way I know to bring rain…