Yogurt!

Homemade Yogurt

Homemade Yogurt

I’ve been a huge fan of yogurt for many years. So much you can do with it. That little parfait is probably my favorite breakfast: plain yogurt w/fresh fruit & granola.

But it took cousin S to remind me that making my own yogurt isn’t really rocket science, especially now that I have a gas range w/a pilot light.

Reasons to make my own:

• It costs about 1/2 as much
  • No plastic containers piling up
  • It’s kind of fun in a Little House/Waltons kind of way

I googled for instructions, and then kind of went my own way, as per usual.

1. I heated a qt of organic milk + 1/3 C dry instant milk to 150 degrees in a very clean saucepan.
  2. While it was heating, I took out a 1/2 C of good commercial organic yogurt (Stony Field) and put it in a bowl to warm up a little.
  3. Cooled the saucepan of milk back down to 110 degrees.
  4. Stirred about 1/2 C of the 110 degree milk into the little bowl of yogurt, to warm it up.
  5. Stirred the little bowl of yogurt into the saucepan of milk.
  6. Poured the saucepan into a sterilized canning jar & popped it into the oven overnight.
  7. That’s it!

So I’m feeling very farmgirl-ish today. The granola was made here, the raspberries are from here, and after breakfast, I pinned a load of clothes out on the line. Surest way I know to bring rain…

6 Responses to “Yogurt!”

1. Brad says:

Okay, Farmgirl, what kind of clothespins? My grandma used the old, one-piece kind that you could make clothespin dolls out of. Mom used the (still common) wood-and-spring ones. I learned to make a b-b shooter out of the latter type, with which I got into trouble at school. Or are you using one of the many modern versions of the clothespin?
    I think is is cool that you made yogurt the “old way,” but do you really think John Boy ate it for breakfast?

2. Sara says:

I’m using the springloaded kind I get at Dollar General. No dolls or guns. But I have to fight the d$md bluejay for them. I had no idea that there are “modern clothespins.” Now I’m scared. What is a modern clothespin, and do I need them? Do I get them @ Crate & Barrel or Ikea? (most likely in Tyson’s Corner.)
    I thought I was “all that” using a Staber washer.
    And no, John Boy was probably one of those underprivileged chilluns who never had yogurt for breakfast. More’s the pity, pobrecito. He prolly ate grits. poor li’l thang.

3. Brad says:

Sara, you pore li’l thang ursef. It’s easier to find the later developments in clothespin tech overseas, but here’s one US link:
    Here’s another:
    I have also seen a variation that is a plastic hanger hook with a plastic clothespin on the end instead of a hanger.
    Now – do you need them? That’s a deep, personal soul matter. All I know after this Googling is if I see one more clothespin angel, I will toss my cookies.

4. Sara says:

oh mah goodness. Aren’t those jest the sweetest thangs? Lord knows, those blue jays would just love ’em to daeth.

5. JoAnn says:

I’ve been making my own yogurt too this year, using a crockpot. Fun, as usual, reading your version of MaryJane’s Farm. 🙂

6. Sara says:

JoAnn, How do you make yogurt in a crockpot? Do you fill it w/water & then set a jar in it? I may not always have a gas stove…